Sometime could be necessary rename our servers, for a specific reason or not. If the server is a Veeam Backup & Replication it’s could be possible find some problems as I tried on my skin. During the rename process I received this message: Directory Service is Busy, as showed in figure 1.
After checked potential issues on my Domain Controllers, I investigated on the deep and I found a frequent guilty, that in many cases can create problems: an attribute into Service Principal Name (SPN). Running, on the Veeam Server, the command setspn -l it’s possible see many record, as showed in figure 2.
Guilty records are the MSSQLSvc, because in the past the SQL Engine was into Veeam machine but now is located on a main SQL Server. To resolve the problem it’s necessary run these commands:
setspn -d MSSQLSvc/serverveeam.domain.lcl:SQLSERVER serverveeam
setspn -d MSSQLSvc/serverveeam.domain.lcl:64723 serverveeam
After this it will be possible rename the server without problem. This procedure is perfect for scenarios like mine; in case SQL Server is installed in the same machine where is Veeam, could be better check this link: http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/how-to-rename-veeam-backup-server-host-t7019.html